Master of Art Film Festival is unique cultural event and the only in Eastern Europe international film festival for Documentaries on Art. It takes place in Bulgaria – Sofia, Plovdiv and Varna.
The festival focuses on different artistic approaches on Art.
Its program is dedicated to Documentary cinema that represents the artistic vision both on history of Art, Contemporary Art forms and to celebrate the multicultural diversity in our time.
Our goal is to show documentaries that manifest the talents and the creative process in the following categories: Architecture, Design and Fashion, Art and Power, Contemporary art, Culinary art, Fine Art, Photography, Literature, Music and Dance, Theatre and Cinema.
Documentaries produced and released after January 1, 2019 are eligible to the competition of Master of Art Film Festival. The festival pays attention also on modern tendencies in Video Art and Advertising.
The mission of Master of Art Film Festival is to create an alternative platform to the mass culture. We want to create an opportunity and to contribute a dialogue and cooperation between artists. The festival is the biggest forum in Eastern Europe for young documentary filmmakers, tempted to tell inspiring stories about the Art.
Master of Art Film Festival is organized by Spotlight Production Company, The National Palace of Culture and ‘Master of Art’ Foundation with the financial support of Municipality of Sofia, AURUBIS BULGARIA, Bulgarian National Film Center and etc.
>The festival funds are raised by participation fees, financial subsidies, donations, sponsorship and tickets.
The 7th edition of the festival will be organized in three parts:
The OFFICIAL SELECTION laurel is given to all films selected in the following categories:
(This category has a separate Award and the submitted videos are not competing with the documentaries and video games in the other categories.)
In addition to all fantastic documentaries for art that are submitted to festival every year filmmakers will have a new opportunity in 2022 edition. We are creating The Master of Art Lab and a special category “More Than Art” for projects in development. Our intention is to support the process of birth of new documentaries dedicated to art in very beginning. Authors are invited to submit their project for Lab competition categories where they compete for the Best Art Film in Development with a special financial support from the festival. The application written in English has to contain synopsis and visual explication not less than five pages and authors filmography. Additional materials like photos or teaser could be attached. Applications must be received until January 31, 2022. If you have an idea for a new amazing art documentary and need initial support – apply and start your achievement in documentary filmmaking! If you win our “More Than Art” competition your world premiere could be at Master of Art Film Festival.
• The festival is open to creators of television and independent documentaries, video art and art advertising from all over the world. • Only films produced / released after January 1, 2019 could be selected for the competition.
• All films submitting to the festival should not be presented in cinemas or broadcast on Bulgarian television and / or distributed on DVD or online on the territory of Bulgaria. No restrictions for screenings in other countries.
• Bulgarian documentaries submitting the festival must have not been submitted to any previous edition of “Master of Art” Film Festival. Priority is given to premiere titles.
• The Festival sets an international jury.
• The Festival jury will select the winners.
• Films in other languages rather than English (incl. those in Bulgarian) must be subtitled in English.
The submission should be made only through the following festival platforms: FilmFreeway and Festhome.
SUBMISSION DEADLINES and FEES – Documentaries.
CALL FOR ENTRIES – May 14, 2021
EARLYBIRD DEADLINE – June 30, 2021 – 15 $
REGULAR DEADLINE – October 31, 2021 – 20 $
LATE DEADLINE – January 31, 2022 – 25 $
EXTENDED DEADLINE – February 20, 2022 – 30 $
SUBMISSION DEADLINES and FEES – VIDEO ART and ART ADVERTISING
CALL FOR ENTRIES – May 14, 2021
EARLYBIRD DEADLINE – June 30, 2021 – 5 $
REGULAR DEADLINE – October 31, 2021 – 10 $
LATE DEADLINE – January 31, 2022 – 15 $
EXTENDED DEADLINE – February 20, 2022 – 20 $
SUBMISSION DEADLINES and FEES – Pithing session MORE THAN ART – for the Best Art Film in Development
CALL FOR ENTRIES – May 14, 2021
EARLYBIRD DEADLINE – June 30, 2021 – 30 $
REGULAR DEADLINE – October 31, 2021 – 40 $
LATE DEADLINE – January 31, 2022 – 50 $
EXTENDED DEADLINE – February 20, 2022 – 60 $
The selected documentaries, art videos, and projects in development will be notified in the following dated:
Winter edition selection – January 10, 2022.
Spring edition selection – March 10, 2022
Summer edition selection – May 10, 2022
OFFICIAL SELECTION and SCREENINGS
• The Applicant/Producer/Distributor of the selected film must provide a file with a time coded dialogue list/transcript of the English text/subtitles. The subtitled in English films must provide as well, in separate file the text subtitles and the transcript/dialogue list of the film in the original language.
• The Applicant/Producer/Distributor of the selected film must provide a short synopsis, 2-3 still photos and a .pdf file with the artwork / poster (if any).
• The Applicant/Producer/Distributor of the selected film must provide a file of the film trailer and a dialogue list of the trailer.
• The selected films will be translated and subtitled in Bulgarian by the festival.
• The screening copies of the selected films must be provided in one of the following formats: BluRay/DCP/H264/APPLE PRORES FILE/.mp4
• The screening copies must be delivered to the festival before
Winter edition selection – January 20, 2022.
Spring edition selection – March 20, 2022.
Summer edition selection – May 30, 2022
• All postal expenses (if using mail service to send BlueRay Disc or Hard drive with the screening copy) are paid by Applicant/Producer/Distributor.
• MofA shall assume no responsibility for loss or damage to any original copy of the film.
• Organizers are obliged to show the films as a part of 2022 “Master of Art” Film Festival screenings.
• Applicants attest and guarantee that they possess all the necessary rights and authorizations.
• Following the consent of all copyrights MofA reserves the right to broadcast parts of the films (1 to 3 min) on TV shows with non-commercial purpose.
• By submitting through FilmFreeway, festhome, the Applicant agrees with the Terms and Conditions of the festival.
Documentaries for architects, past and present architectural achievements, historic buildings.
Documentaries on the connection between art and children.
Documentaries about contemporary art, art installations and protest art.
Documentaries on the art of preparation, cooking and serving food.
Documentaries about the Fine Art from different eras, galleries and exhibitions.
Documentaries about writers, poets, and/ or their works.
Documentaries about music, composers and musicians — opera, classics, folk, jazz, pop and rock; dancers and choreographers — ballet, folk, traditional and contemporary dance, theater and documentary theater, acting challenges on stage.
Documentaries about theatre, acting challenges on stage; notable filmmakers and actors.
Video art, experimental videos, art advertisings and Advertisement.
Documentaries about the photography and photographers
Documentaries about the relationship between the artists and totalitarian regimes and politic.
Documentaries about designers and their work.
MASTER OF ART FILM FESTIVAL 2021
Nayo Titzin — Artistic Director:
firstname.lastname@example.org, +359 898 626 212
Lilia Atanasova — Festival Manager:
email@example.com, +359 899 907 715
Hristo Hristozov — Festival Programmer:
Valerie Titzin — Legal Advisor:
© 2021 Sofia