A decade after her passing, the emotive brilliance of iconic Tanztheater choreographer Pina Bausch lives on through a new generation of performers as they make her movement vocabulary their own, under the guidance of original members of her cast.
Director Florian Heinzen-Ziob’s stunning documentary takes us behind the scenes as the ballet ensemble of the Semperoper in Dresden, Germany rehearses Pina’s poignant dance-opera Iphigenia in Tauris.
Meanwhile, dancers from fourteen African countries gather at the École des Sables in Senegal to breathe new life into Pina’s visceral reimagining of The Rite of Spring.
Through intimately shot interviews and rehearsal footage, the performers share what “dancing Pina” means to them: the fusion of personal experience and choreography; learning to fully inhabit the body that one has; and facilitating a true encounter with the self through performance.
Bolstered by gorgeous cinematography both onstage and on the shore of Toubab Dialaw, Senegal, the end results are achingly beautiful.
A journey of fascinating insights into the lives of dancers and the expressive power of movement.
“Master of Art” Film Festival 2023
- Sofia, Cinema Odeon, 12 February 2023, 18:00 h.
- Sofia, NDK, Cinema Lumiere, 18 February 2023, 19:00 h.
- Stara Zagora, Zahariy Knyazheski Regional Library, 17 February 2023, 18:00 h.
- Varna, Festival and Congress Centre, HALL 2 /EUROPE/, 18 February 2023, 20:00 h.
- Plovdiv, LUCKY Cinema house, 18 February 2023, 19:00 h.